Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Happiness...

I have been thinking a lot about happiness lately and what makes me truly happy.

In Elizabeth Gilberts words:

"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it. You have to participate relentlessly in the manifestations of your own blessings. And once you have achieved a state of happiness, you must never become lax about maintaining it. You must make a mighty effort to keep swimming upward into that happiness forever, to stay afloat on top of it."
— Elizabeth Gilbert (Eat, Pray, Love)

This quote from Eat, Pray, Love has always struck a chord with me.. maybe because happiness seems to be something I am always searching for. Seeking for what makes me truly happy - which I know that my family and friends make me happy, but there always seems to be something missing - a spark, an amber, something that I am passionate about .... yet I can't seem to find it. Part of moving to Paris for me was the idea of travelling around the world looking for happiness.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy with the opportunities I have been given and the amazing life I have considering many people never have the opportunity to do the things I have done, and see the places I have seen. However, I feel that in life, we should all LOVE what we are doing, otherwise... why are we doing it??

My brother has always had such a wise approach to this, even had it tattooed on his body, Love Gives Life Within... in short meaning don't do it if you you don't love it. Which seems to be ringing true for our generation as I search through blogs, and see friends quitting jobs and school to travel. Our generation... would rather be happy, than unhappy working a job we hate b/c its what we think we are supposed to do... at least I would. Yet I feel as tho we are also forced by society to think we NEED lots of money to live adequately. Does MONEY=HAPPINESS? I am really starting to think/know otherwise.

I have always thought that no matter what career I had, it had to be something that paid really well. However, now I am questioning if money is worth more than my own happiness... (my answer should be no).

So how do I figure out what I want to do and how I want to live my life?

Well, I guess this is my stepping stone. This blog... a stepping stone for me... a place to talk about trying new things, learning, loving, laughing, crying, and doing. Maybe through venting my feelings via this "diary" or "portal" I can learn new things, and eventually figure out what it is that I am really, totally and utterly passionate about! I want to stop talking, and start doing. And this blog is going to make me accountable!

Let's see what happens! :)

If you care to follow along, please do! If not - I don't mind! Thanks for stopping by :)

No comments:

Post a Comment